Sylhet District Information
Sylhet district was established on 3 January 1782. Until 1878, Sylhet was under the jurisdiction of dhaka division. In the same year, Sylhet was included in the newly created Asam Province. Up to 1947 (excepting the Banga Bhanga period of 1905-1911) it remained a part of Asam. In 1947, as a result of a referendum, it was attached to the East Pakistan and was included in the Chittagong Division. The greater Sylhet was divided into four new districts viz Sylhet, Sunamganj, Habiganj and Maulvi Bazar in 1983-84. On 1 August 1995 Sylhet was declared as the 6th division of the country consisting of the four districts of the greater Sylhet. Sylhet district consists of 11 upazilas, 2 municipalities, 37 wards, 233 mahallas, 98 union parishads, 1693 mouzas and 3249 villages.
Area: 3490.40 square kilometers
Bounded by: the Khasia-Jainta hills of India on the north, Maulvi Bazar district on the south, Kachhar and Karimganj districts of India on the east, Sunamganj and Habiganj districts on the west
History: were the serf of the zamindars. As a result of Nankar and other similar revolts the Nankar system was abolished in 1950.
Archeology: Stone monument of Jaintapur, Mound of Gharduara, Gaiyabi Mosque, tombs of Hazrat shah jalal (r) and shah paran (r), Abu Torab Mosque, Nawabi Masque, Mughal Mosque at Akhalia, Dhaka Dakshmin Temple, Tin Mandir (trio temple).
source - banglapedia