Bagerhat District Information
Bagerhat subdivision was turned into a district in 1984. It consists of 9 upazilas, 77 union parishads, 1031 villages, 687 mouzas, 3 municipalities, 27 wards, 56 mahallas.
Area: 3959.11 square kilometers
Bounded by: Gopalganj and Narail districts on the north, bay of bengal on the south, Gopalganj, Pirojpur and Barguna districts on the east and Khulna district on the west
History: The name of khan jahan ali is related to the history of Bagerhat. He migrated here in 1429 with a large number of soldiers. He established the Khalifabad Pargana covering areas including Bagerhat, Khulna, Satkhira, Jessore and Barisal. He ruled this pargana during the period from 1429 to 1449. After the death of Khan Jahan Ali in 1449, Raja Prajapaditya occupied the pargana. During the war of liberation in 1971 the Pak army entered Bagerhat on 21 April through the land way via Domerpool. They killed about 200 innocent people at Khalishakhali and Babuganj. Many people were killed and wounded in encounters between the Pak army and the freedom fighters at Doyapara, Shakharikarihat, and at Chakulia of Mollahat. Besides, 35 persons were killed in an encounter between the freedom fighters and the Razakars in Morrelganj.
Archeology: shatgumbad mosque, nine-dome mosque, Sona Mosque, khan jahan's tomb Complex, seven-domed Mosque, ten-domed Mosque, one-domed Mosque, Pacha Dighi, Ghora Dighi, Kodla Math or Ayudha Math, Kuthibari (1849), Durgapur Shiva Math, Shiva Temple, Rajbari of Bangram.
source - banglapedia