Sirajganj District Information
Sirajganj subdivision was established in 1845 and was included in Pabna district. It was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 4 municipalities, 42 wards, 9 upazilas, 117 mahallas, 79 union parishads, 1467 mouzas and 2006 villages.
Area: 2497.92 square kilometers
Bounded by: Bogra district on the north, Pabna district on the south, Tangail and Jamalpur districts on the east, Pabna, Natore and Bogra districts on the west
History: In 1922, many people were killed and wounded when police opened fire on an assemblage of people gathered at Salanga Hat (as a part of the Khelafat and non cooperation movement) under the leadership of Maulana Abdur Rashid Tarkabagish. This is known as Salanga Movement or 'Salanga Genocide'. In 1942 Mohammad Ali Jinnah came to Sirajganj to attend the All India Muslim League Conference; Mahatma Gandhi and Subas Basu came to Sirajganj to attend the convention of the Brahmo Samaj in 1928. The Hindu-Muslim Pact of the Swaraj Party, headed by Deshbandhu chitta ranjan das, was adopted in the Conference of the All India Congress Party held in 1924 at Sirajganj. National Poet kazi nazrul islam came to Sirajganj in 1932 to presided over the Conference of the Tarun Muslim. ak fazlul huq laid the foundation stone of Sirajganj Degree College in 1940. During the War of Liberation a battle was fought between the freedom fighters and the Pak army at Naogaon of Tarash upazila in which the Pak army was defeated and about 150 members of the Pak army were killed. During 11 to 14 December a battle was fought between the Pak army and the freedom fighters at Shailabari in which Pak army was defeated. Sirajganj was liberated on 14 December 1971.
Archeology: Tomb and mosque of Khawja Pir Saheb of Enayetpur (Chauhali), tomb of Hazrat Abdul Ali Baki Shah Sharif Jindani (R) of Naogaon (Tarash), homestead of Behula (Tarash), Shiva Mandir (Tarash), Rabindra Kuthi Bari (Shajadpur), Akhra of Sri Sri Maha Pravu, Gopinath Bigraha, Kalika Devi Bigraha, Joysagar (Raiganj), Protap Dighi (Raiganj), Elliot Bridge or Lohar Poll (iron bridge, built in 1893), Makkahaulia Mosque (fifteenth century, Ullahpara), Nabaratna Mandir (Ullahpara).
source - banglapedia