Sherpur District Information
Sherpur district was established in 1984; earlier it was a subdivision under the Mymensingh district. The district consists of one municipality, five upazilas, 51 union parishads, 2 municipalities, 18 wards, 73 mahallas, 458 mouzas and 699 villages.
Area: 1363.76 square kilometers
Bounded by: Garo hills of Meghalaya (India) on the north, Mymensingh and Jamalpur districts on the south, Mymensingh district on the east, Jamalpur district on the west
History: Sherpur region was a part of the kingdom of the Kamrupa in the ancient time. During the reign of the Mughal Emperor Akbar this area was called "Dashkahania Baju". During the first part of the seventeenth century the Gazis of Bhawal occupied Dashkahania area from the descendants of Isa Khan. Doshkahania Pargana was named Sherpur after Sher Ali Gazi, the last jaghirdar of the Gazi dynasty. Fakir-Sannyasi Revolts were held against the East India Company and the local zamindars from the time of warren hastings to lord cornowalis; Tipu Shah, leader of the Fakir Movement, declared sovereignty in the area and established his capital at Gajripa. Peasant conferences were held in 1906, 1914 and 1917 at Kamarer Char of Sherpur under the leadership of Khos Muhammad Chowdhury. The communists revolted against the systems of Nankar, Tonk, Bhawali, Mahajani, Ijaradari during 1838-48 in Sherpur. In 1897 a devastating earth quack changed the course of the Brahmaputra towards the west and forced to merge it with the Jamuna; it also caused serious damages to many old buildings.
Archeology: Garh Jaripar Fort (c 1486-91 AD), tomb of Darvish Jarip Shah, Baraduari Mosque, tomb of Hazrat Shah Kamal (1644 AD), tomb of Sher Ali Gazi, Mughal Mosque at Kasba, Ghagra Laskar Bari Mosque, Maisaheba Mosque, residences of Nay Ani, Arai Ani and Pouney Tin Ani Zamindars.
source - banglapedia