Satkhira District Information
Satkhira subdivision was established in 1861 under Jessore district. It was included into Khulna district in 1882. The subdivision was turned into a district in 1984 as a result of the administrative decentralisation. The district consists of 2 municipalities, 18 wards, 41 mahallas, 7 upazilas, 79 union parishads, 953 mouzas and 1436 villages.
Area: 3858.33 square kilometers
Bounded by: Jessore district on the north, the bay of bengal on the south, Khulna district on the east, Pargana district of west bengal on the west
History: The ancient name of Satkhira was Satgharia (noted zamindar Prannath Roy Chowdhury established Satgharia). During the permanent settlement Bishnuram Chakravorti, an official of Raja Krishnachandra of Nadia, purchased Buran Pargana by auction in 1772 and settled at Satgharia village. Prananath Roy Chowdhury, son of Bishnuran Chakravorti, made considerable development in the area. In 1781, most of the areas of Jessore, Faridpur and Khulna were brought under a single administration. But later on while peasant movement spread over the region against the oppressions of indigo planters and the local zamindars, the British established a subdivision at Satgharia under Jessore district to control indigo revolt and to strengthen local administration. By this time 'Satgharia'turned into 'Satkhira' in the records of the British. Satkhira region was a part of the ancient Vanga janapada. Once it was the capital of the state of bara-bhuiyan of Bengal. Peasant movement, against the east india company and oppressions of the local zamindars, spread over the district in 1801 under the leadership of Titumir. Besides, indigo resistance movement and wahabi movement spread over the district during 1854 to 1860.
Archeology: Dargah of Mai Champa (Labasa, 1417), Jahajghata Naval Fort (Mautala, 1567), Dighi (pond) and clay walled Moneyghar of Tittar Raja (Nawapara, 1582), Nabaratna Mandir (Demrail, 1580), Baro Duary (Ishwaripur, 1582), Tenga Mosque (Banshipur,1599), Sonabaria Nabaratna Mandir (Kalaroa, 1767), Joseshwari Mandir (Ishwaripur, 1899), Triangular Mandir of Chanda Bhairabi (Ishwaripur), Nagar Fort of Raja Pratapaditya (Kaliganj), Parabajpur Mosque (Mukundapur), Hamman Khana (Ishwaripur), Gopalpur Mandir (terocota decorated), Moutala Mosque, Annapunna Nabaratna Mandir (Satkhira), Sultanpur Mosque, Nagarghata Mosque, Katunia Mandir.
source - banglapedia