Rangamati District Information
Rangamati subdivision was turned into a district in 1983. It consists of 10 upazilas, 1 municipality, 9 wards, 35 mahallas, 50 union parishads, 162 mouzas and 1347 villages.
Area: 6116.13 square kilometers
Bounded by: the Tripura State of India on the north, Bandarban district on the south, Mizoram State of India and Chin State of Myanmar on the east, Khagrachhari and Chittagong districts on the west
History: Before the Muslim conquest Rangamati region was a contesting ground between the kings of the Tripura and the Arakan. In 1966 this region came under the Mughals. It was leased to the English East India Company in 1760-61. In 1737 one tribal leader Sher Mosta Khan took refuge with the Mughals. From this time onward the Chakmas settled in this region who were followed by other ethnic nationals.
Archeology: Palace, dighi and mosque of Raja Jan Bashk Khan, remnants of the residence of Raja Harish Chandra Roy and the hanging bridge.
source - banglapedia