Rajshahi District Information
Rajshahi district was established in 1772. Maldaha, Bogra, Pabna, Natore and Nawabganj districts were established in phases dividing this district. It has one city corporation, 4 thanas, 7 municipalities, 93 wards, 297 mahallas, 9 upazilas, 70 union parishads, 1678 mouzas and 1858 villages.
Area: 2407.01 square kilometers
Bounded by: Naogaon district on the north, West Bengal of India, Kushtia district and the ganges on the south, Natore district on the east and Nawabganj district on the west
History: Rajshahi district was a part of Pundruvardhana of the ancient Vanga. The capital of Vijoy Sen was located 9 miles on the west of Rajshahi town. indigo resistance movement spread over Rajshahi during 1859-60. Seven communist activists were killed at the Khapra ward of Rajshahi Jail when police fired indiscriminately on 24 April 1950. During the mass upsurge in 1969 Dr. Shamsuzzoha of Rajshahi University was killed.
Archeology: Two domed Kismat Madia Mosque (eighteenth century), one domed Ruipara (Durgapur) Jami Mosque (sixteenth century), Bagdhani Mosque at Paba upazila, three domed Bhagna Jami Mosque at Tanore upazila (1223 AH), tomb of Hazrat Shah Makhdum (R), tomb of Hazrat Shah Sultan at Godagari upazila (fourteenth century), Bara Kuthi (eighteenth century), Talando Shiva Mandir (1860), Rajbari, Govinda Mandir, Shiva Mandir, Gopal Mandir, and Dolmancha (Putia).
source - banglapedia