Noakhali District Information
Noakhali district, whose earlier name was Bhulua, was established in 1821. It was named Noakhali in 1868. It consists of six upazilas, 5 municipalities, 45 wards, 90 mahallas, 83 union parishads, 909 mouzas and 978 villages.
Area: 3600.99 square kilometers
Bounded by: Comilla district on the north, the Meghna estuary and the bay of bengal on the south, Feni and Chittagong districts on the east, Lakshmipur and Bhola districts on the west
History: The ancient name of Noakhali was Bhulua. Once the agricultural activities of the north-eastern region of Bhulua were seriously affected by floodwater of the river Dakatia flowing from the Tripura hills. To save the situation a canal was excavated in 1660 running from the Dakatia through Ramganj, Sonaimudi and Chaumuhani to divert water flow to the junction of the rivers Meghna and Feni. After excavating this long canal Bhulua was renamed "Noakhali" after "Noa" (new) and "khal" (canal) in 1668.
Archeology: Noakhali Public Library (1895), Bajra Shahi Mosque (1153 AH, Chatkhil), Kali Statue (18th century) at Sirajpur union of Companiganj upazila).
source - banglapedia