Nilphamari District Information
The Nilphamari subdivision was established in 1875 and was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 6 upazilas, 3 municipalities, 33 wards, 65 mahallas, 62 union parishads, 390 mouzas and 370 villages.
Area: 1640.91 square kilometers
Bounded by: Kuchbihar district of west bengal (India) on the north, Rangpur district on the south, Lalmonirhat district on the east and Panchagarh and Dinajpur districts on the west
History: The tebhaga movement spread over Domar and Dimla in the 1940s. In this movement the activist Tannarayan was shoot dead by the zamindar. Once indigo was cultivated extensively in this district. The Nilphamari region was under the Votmari Chauki during the British period. Later on the Chauki was transferred first to Shekherhat of Badarganj thana and then to Dokra of Domar thana.
Archeology: Birat Dighi (present name Nilsagar), Neel Kuthi (Nilphamari Sadar Upazila), Nat Settlement (prison, 1871), Saidpur Church (1893), Dimla Rajbari, Garh (Fort) of Raja Dharmapal and the remnants of his palace (eighteenth century, Jaldhaka), remnants of the palace of Raja Harish Chandra (Ninth century, Jaldhaka upazila), three domed Jami Mosque at Bherberi (eighteenth century, Kishoreganj upazila).
source - banglapedia