Manikganj District Information
Manikganj subdivision was established in 1845 and was turned into a district in 1984. It consists of 1 municipality, 7 upazilas, 65 union parishads, 1357 mouzas, 9 wards, 49 mahallas and 1647 villages.
Area: 1378.99 square kilometers
Bounded by: Tangail district on the north, Dhaka district on the east, Faridpur and Dhaka districts on the south, the padma, jamuna and the districts of Pabna and Rajbari on the west
History: A decisive battle was fought between the Mughal army and the combined forces of the Bara Bhuiyans under Musa Khan at Jatrapur and Dakchara on the Ichamati (under Harirampur upazila) resulting in the defeat of the Bara Bhuiyans and establishment of the Mughal supremacy over the central bhati region. In the second half of the nineteenth century indigo uprisings spread over the district. The anti-British revolutionists under Hiralal Mohanta of Manikganj town initially looted the postal despatch on 12 February1932.
Archeology: Matta Math, Sree Sree Anandamayee Kalibari, Rajani Bhaban and Jhobhat Bhaban, Narayan Sadhu Asram, Sivabari Mandir, Neel-kuthi at Bimile (sadar upazila); Fort at Fordnagar, Baira Neel-kuthi, residence of Datta-Guptas, Ananda Kuthi and Mandir, Senabari and Durga-mandap, Imampara Jami Masjid, tomb of Ibrahim Shah, (Singair upazila); Ekdala Fort, Katasgarh Fort, Fort at Dhaki-jora, Daschira Buddha-vihara and stupa, Navaratna Math, Teota Zamindar Bari, Machain Masjid, tomb of Shah Rustam, Tepra Kali Mandir, Sree-bari, Neel-kuthi at Teota (Shivalaya upazila); Baliati Zamindar Palace, Dhankora Zamindar-bari, tomb of Kalu Shah, Gauranga Math (Saturia upazila); Neel-kuthi at village Sreebari Baratia, Panch-thubi Bauddha-vihara (Ghior); Jhitka Lokmania Dargah (Harirampur).
source - banglapedia