Magura District Information
Magura sub-division was established in 1945 and was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 4 upazilas, 1 municipality, 18 wards, 61 mahallas, 36 union parishads, 537 mouzas, and 700 villages.
Area: 1048 square kilometers
Bounded by: Rajbari district on the north, Jessore and Narail districts on the south, Faridpur district on the east and Jhenaidah district on the west
History: Indigo uprising of 1859-60, the remnants of Neelkuthi at Hajrapur, Boroi, Amtail Nahati are marks of extensive indigo cultivation. During the War of Liberation the people of Magura encountered the Pak army in about 16 fronts. In these encounters many freedom fighters were killed. The heroic role of Lutfunnahar Helena and her tragic death in the hands of the Razakars are proudly remembered by people.
Archeology: Ghat of Nader Chand, tomb of Pir Mokerram Ali, tomb of Garib Shah, remnants of the Rajbari of Raja Sitaram Roy, Rajbari of Raja Satrujit Roy, fortification of Debal Raja, remnants of the Rajbari of Birat Raja at Sreepur, Mosque at village Gopal (Mughal period), Siddheshwari Math at Athara Khada and Ashram of Nangta Baba (Satdoha Ashram).
source - banglapedia