Madaripur District Information
Madaripur subdivision was established in 1854 under the district of Bakerganj. In 1873 it was separated from Bakerganj and annexed to Faridpur district. Madaripur subdivision was turned into a district in 1984. It consists of 4 upazilas, 57 union parishads, 550 mouzas, 3 municipalities, 27 wards, 85 mahallas and 1035 villages.
Area: 1144 square kilometers
Bounded by: Faridpur and Munshiganj districts on the north, Barisal district on the south, Shariatpur district on the east, Gopalganj district on the west
History: The most important historical event is the faraizi movement led by Haji Shariatullah (1781-1840). During the War of Liberation many direct encounters were held between the freedom fighters and the Pakistan army. The freedom fighters of Madaripur captured 40 Pakistani soldiers including a Major and a Captain.
Archeology: Aoliapur Neelkuti, Algi Kazibadi Mosque, Ram Mandir at Khalia, Senapati Dighi and the tomb of Shah Mazar.
source - banglapedia