Kurigram District Information
Kurigram subdivision was established in 1874 and was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 9 upazilas, 2 municipalities, 18 wards, 122 mahallas, 73 union parishads, 647 mouzas, 1907 villages and 14 enclaves.
Area: 276.45 square kilometers
Bounded by: Cooch Bihar district of west bengal on the north, Gaibandha district on the south, Asam Province of India on the east, West Bengal of India and Rangpur and Lalmonirhat districts on the west
History: Devi Chaudharani and Bhabani Pathak revolted against the British. They built their secret hermitages in the deep forests. They conducted many encounters against the British and their collaborators during 1760-1783. Quit-India Movement, Tebhaga Movement and Satyagraha Movement spread over Kurigram. During the War of Liberation Raumari, Rajibpur (except Kodalkati union) and Phulbari upazilas were beyond the reach of the Pak army. Many direct encounters between the Freedom Fighters and the Pak army were held in this district in which about 100 Freedom Fighters were killed.
Archeology: Remnants of a mosque (Mughal period, 1176 AH) at Nayarhat (Rajarhat), remnants of a mosque near Patweshwari Bazar (Mughal period), three domed mosque (Mughal period) at village Majider Par of Thanahat Union (Bhurangamari), Arabic inscription of a mosque (Hussain Shahi period, now preserved at the Rajshahi Barendra Museum), Joymoni Zamindar Bari, Naodanga Zamindar Bari and Mandir (Phulbari), Pangeshwari Mandir and remnants of the Rajbari (Rajarhat), image of Kali at Dasherhat, images of Mangal Chandi, Kamakkha Devi, Laksmi and Sattanarayan in front of the Bhetarbandh Zamindar Bari, Kali Siddheshwari Mandir (Ulipur), two canons of Panga Kingdom (preserved at the BDR Gate).
source - banglapedia