Jhenaidaha District Information
At the beginning of the British rule Jhenaidah was a police out post and was turned into a thana in 1793. The Jhenaidah subdivision was established in 1862 and was turned into a district in 1984. It consists of six upazilas, five municipalities, 67 union parishads, 945 mouzas, 1152 villages, 27 wards and 134 mahallas.
Area: 1949.62 square kilometers
Bounded by: Kushtia district on the north, Jessore district and west bengal (India) on the south, Rajbari and Magura districts on the east, Chuadanga district and West Bengal (India) on the west
History: bara bazar (ancient name Gangadighi) of Kaliganj upazila had been a famous port of India. It has been mentioned in the Greek history that in the ancient time Prabal and muslin used to be exported from this port. In the 1860s indigo resistance movement spread all over this district. During the War of Liberation in 1971 battles were fought between Pak army and the freedom fighters at Mandartala (Kaliganj), Dulalmundia and Besaykhali (Jhenaidah Sadar) in which several members of the Pak army were killed and so were many freedom fighters. Jhenaidah was liberated on 6 December 1971.
Archeology: Biswabat (Bethuli), Harihar Garh (Shailkupa), Shailkupa Jami Mosque, Ram Gopal Mandir (Shailkupa), Rani Mata Dighi, Sawdaghar Dighi and Mosque, Gorai Mosque, Jor Bangla Mosque, Galakata Dighi and Mosque, Cheragdani Dighi and Mosque, Dighi of Sree Ram Raja, Tombs of Ghazi, Dhol Samudra Dighi (Jhenaidah Sadar), Naldangha Rajbari and Mandir (Kaliganj), Manasa Mandir (Maheshpur), Sree Krishna Balaram Dev Bigraha Mandir (Kaliganj).
source - banglapedia