Gaibandha District Information
Gaibandha district was established in 1984. The district consists of 7 upazilas, 3 municipalities, 27 wards, 82 union parishads, 1101 mouzas, 56 mahallas and 1244 villages.
Area: 2179.27 square kilometers
Bounded by: Kurigram and Rangpur districts on the north, Bogra district on the south, Jamalpur, and Kurigram districts and brahmaputra river on the east, Dinajpur and Rangpur districts on the west
History: This region was a part of the Mourya, Pala, Gupta and Kamarupa kingdoms at different times. Movement was held in 1783 in this district against collection of excess taxes. Anti British movement (1921) and tebhaga movement (1946) were initiated in the district. Fayezuddin and Puti Sheikh were killed by Police firing in 1949 in a movement to stop collection of tolls at hats and bazars. A Peasant Convention was held at Fulchhari in 1956 under the leadership of maulana abdul hamid khan bhasani.
Archeology: Vardhan Kuthi, Gobindaganj (17th century), house of Naldanga Zamindar along with its Shiva Linga made of black basalt, Vrisa Mandir of white stone and a large pond, Mosque of Shah Sultan Gazi at Mirer Bagan (1308), house of Bamandanga Zamindar, Mosque at Jamalpur, large pond at Faridpur, Masta Mosque at Gobindaganj.
source - banglapedia