Faridpur District Information
Faridpur district (estd. 1815) consists of 8 upazilas, 4 municipalities, 79 union parishads, 36 wards, 92 mahallas and 1859 villages.
Area: 2072.72 square kilometers
Bounded by: Rajbari and Manikganj districts on the north, Gopalganj district on the south, Dhaka, Munshiganj and Madaripur districts on the east, Narail, Magura and Rajbari districts on the west Once upon a time the district consisted mainly of depression based marshland
History: Faridpur was named after the famous sufi saint Shah Sheikh Fariduddin. Hazi Shariatullah started his Faraizi movement in the district. Indigo was being cultivated on the banks of the rivers Garai, Madhumati, Barasia, Chandana, Kumar etc. The main kuthi (indigo headquarter) was located in Mirganj of Alfadangha upazila; and its manager was A.C. Dunlop. Like other parts of Bengal there were indigo resistance movement in this district under the leadership of Pir Dudu Mia.
Archeology: Garoda Mosque (1013 AH), Pathrail Mosque and dighi (1493-1519 AD), Satoir Mosque (1519 AD), Fatehabad Taksal (1519-32), Mathurapur Wall, Zila Judge Court building (1889 AD) and Bhanga Munsif Court Building (1889), Basudeva Mandir and Jagabandhu Angina.
source - banglapedia