Dhaka District Information
Dhaka district was established in 1772. The district consists of 5 upazilas, 21 thanas, 3 municipalities, 77 union parishads, 1020 mouzas, 1863 villages.
Area: 1463.60 square kilometers
Bounded by: Gazipur and Tangail districts on the north, Munshiganj and Rajbari districts on the south, Narayanganj district on the east, Manikganj district on the west
History: Once upon a time Dhaka was ruled by the Hindu Kings. The Pala and the Sena dynasties ruled Dhaka for many years. It was not until early fourteenth century when the Muslim rulers began to come to Bengal. Dhaka was made the capital of Bengal in 1608 and Islam Khan renamed Dhaka as Jahangirnagar after the name of Emperor Jahangir. In the eighteenth century Dhaka lost political importance when Murshid Quli Khan transferred the capital of Bengal from Dhaka to Murshidabad. But Dhaka never lost its commercial importance.
Archeology: lalbagh fort and the tomb of Bibi Pari (1668), bara katra (1641), chhota katra and the tomb of Bibi Champa (1663), Ancient Fort and the palace of the Nawab (Jail Hospital, 1638), ahsan manzil (1872), husaini dalan (1642), Binod Bibi Mosque (1456 AD), Seven Domed Mosque (1676), Chawk Mosque (1676), Bibi Meher Mosque (1814), Armanitola Mosque (1716), Khawja Shahbaj Mosque (1679), Shayesta Khan Mosque (1664-78), Khawja Ambar Mosque (1677-78), Moriam Saleh Mosque (1706), Sitara Begum Mosque (1815), Farruk Shayer Mosque (1703-1704), Tara Mosque, Azimpur Mosque (1746), Kartalab Khan Mosque (1700-1704), Holy Rosary Church (1678), Setara Begum Mosque (1819), Bagmara Math (Nawabganj), Home stead of Raja Harish Chandra (eighteenth century, Savar), Shree Shree Sani Ashram and Math (1199 AD), Dhakeshwari Mandir (eventeenth century), Jaykali Mondir, Bahadur Shah Park, Nimtali Deuri (Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, 1765).
source - banglapedia