Chittagong District Information
Chittagong district was established in 1666 including three hill districts. The district of Chittagong Hill Tracts was established in 1860 with the hill region of the district. Later, Chittagong district was further divided into Chittagong and Cox's Bazar districts. The district consists of one city corporation, seven municipalities, six thanas, 20 upazilas, 197 union parishads and 1,319 villages.
Area: 5282.98 square kilometers
Bounded by: Feni district and Tripura (Indian state) on the north, Cox's Bazar district on the south, Bandarban, Rangamati and Khagrachhari districts on the east and Noakhali district and the bay of bengal on the west
History: Chittagong had been a sea port since the ancient time. The Arab traders had business transactions with this port since 9th century AD. Chittagong region was under the kingdom of Arakan during sixth and seventh centuries. Before the Muslim rule Chittagong had been either under the control of the Arakans or under the kings of Burma. Sultan Fakruddin Mubarak Shah of Sonargaon conquered Chittagong in 1340. After the defeat of Sultan Giasuddin Mahmud Shah in the hands of Sher Shah in1538, the Arakanise again captured Chittagong. From this time onward until its conquest by the Mughals this region was under the control of the Portuguese and the Magh pirates. The Mughal Commandar Bujurg Umed Khan expelled the Portuguese from the area in 1666 and established Mughal rule there. The Mughals renamed Chittagong as Islamabad.
Archeology: Bronze statues (8th and 9th centuries, in Anwara upazila), Fakira Mosque (Hathazari), Musa Khan Mosque (1658), Kura Katni Mosque (1806), Kala Mosque (16th century), Chhuti Khan Mosque (Mirsharai), Kadam Mobarak Mosque (1719), Andar Killah Mosque, Wali Khan Mosque (1790), Badar Awlia Dargah, Bakshi Hamid Mosque of Banshkhali (1568), Chittagong Court Building (1893), Collegiate School, Ethnological Museum (1974).
source - banglapedia