Bogra District Information
Bogra district was established in 1821 consisting of 9 thanas, of which four from Rajshahi district (Adamdighi, Bogra, Sherpur, Nawkhila), 3 from Dinajpur district (Lalbazar, Badalgachhi, Khetlal), and two from Rangpur district (Gobindaganj, Dewanganj). In 1983 Bogra district was divided into two districts (Bogra and Joypurhat). Bogra district consists of 5 municipalities, 48 wards, 166 mahallas, 11 upazilas, 109 union parishads, 1782 mouzas and 2706 villages.
Area: 2919.9 square kilometers
Bounded by: Joypurhat and Gaibandha districts on the north, the chalan beel, Natore and Sirajganj districts on the south, jamuna river and Jamalpur district on the east, Part of Chalan Beel, Naogaon and Natore districts on the west
History: Mahasthangarh (pundranagara), located 10 km to the north of Bogra town, was the capital of pundravardhana. During the 4th to 8th century BC this region was ruled by various dynasties. From the middle of 8th century it went under Pala rule that continued till 12th century. Sena King vijayasena conquered the region defeating the last Pala King madanpala. Bogra came under the Muslim rule after bakhtiyar khalji conquered Nadia. In 1281-1290 AD, Sultan Nasiruddin Bagra Khan, the second son of the emperor of Delhi Sultan ghiyasuddin balban became the ruler of Bengal. Bogra was named after him. The anti British Fakir-Sannyasi movement spread over Bogra region since the early British rule. The leader of the fakirs majnu shah had direct encounters with the British. The Indigo Rebellion spread over Bogra in mid 19th century.
Archeology: Kherua Mosque at Sherpur, remnants of the historical mahasthangarh, Bara Masjid, Mazar (tomb) of Shah Sultan Balkhi, Gokul Medh, Parshuram's Palace, Vasu Vihara.
source - banglapedia