Bhola District Information
Bhola sub-division was established under Noakhali district in 1845. At that time its administration centre was at Amania of Daulatkhan. The sub-division was included in Barisal district in 1869. The sub-division was then consisted of Daulatkhan and Burhanuddin Hat Thanas and three outposts such as Taltali, Gazipur and Tazumuddin. The sub-divisional head quarters was shifted from Daulatkhan to Bhola in 1876. It was elevated to a district on 1 February 1984. The district now consists of 7 upazilas, 60 union parishads, 409 mouzas, 460 villages, 5 municipalities, 45 wards and 62 mahallas.
Area: 3403.48 square kilometers
Bounded by: Lakshmipur and Barisal districts on the north, bay of bengal on the south, Lakshmipur and Noakhali districts, meghna (lower) river and Shahbazpur Channel on the east, Patuakhali district and tentulia river on the west
History: Many people of the district, especially of Charfasson and Tazumuddin, lost their lives in a devastating cyclone and tidal bore in 1970. During the war of liberation a battle between the freedom fighters and the Pak army was fought at Ghuigarhat (Bhola Sadar) in which 121 freedom fighters were killed. In another encounter at Bangla Bazar about 80 members of the Pak army were killed.
source - banglapedia