Barisal District Information
Bakerganj disrict was established in 1797. Later on it was renamed as Barisal district. Barisal was declared a division on 1 January, 1993. The district consists of one city corporation, five municipalities, 66 wards, 111 mahallas, 10 upazilas, 86 union parishads, 1147 mouzas and 1175 villages.
Area: 2790.51 square kilometers
Bounded by: Madaripur, Shariatpur, Chandpur and Lakshmipur districts on the north, Patuakhali, Barguna and Jhalokati districts on the south, Bhola and Lakshmipur districts on the east, Jhalokati, Pirojpur and Gopalganj districts on the west
History: Ancient name of Barisal was chandradvipa. The capital of this kingdom was at Bakla. The founder of the kingdom was Danuj Madhav or Danuj Mardhan Dev.
Archeology: Rammohan Samadhi Mandir, Sujabad Kella, Sangram Kella, Sharkal Fort, Girja Mahalla, Bell's Park, Ebadullah Mosque, Kasai Mosque, Oxford Church, Shankar Math, Kali Bari of Mukunda Das, Joint Mosque at Bhatikhana, aswini kumar town hall, Charkella, durgasagar Dighi, one domed Mosque (Kasba), brass image of Manasa weighing three maunds (Char Bania Bari).
source - banglapedia